Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Cinnamon Almond Cookies

Low carb, gluten free cookie! Now that I've got experience working in a bakery, my confidence at whipping up baked goods has increased. They always say baking is chemistry, but I find I can be pretty creative with some things and the results still turn out good. Perhaps I am gifted at guessing proportions? Or maybe my standards have dropped since going gluten and sugar free! At any rate, here is a recipe all my own for a low carb cookie. It is sweetened with stevia, and since so many brands are different I will note the brand used as well. It is NuNaturals pure liquid alcohol free stevia. I recommend if you are using a different brand to taste the dough, if you aren't afraid of salmonella. I use local farm eggs almost exclusively so this is not a worry I have. These are a soft, chewy, almost biscuity cookie - not a crispy cookie. Perhaps they could be formed into a scone shape to good effect.

Note: to make chocolate chip cookies, use 1/3 cup Lily's brand sugar free chocolate chips (or your own preference) and an extra tsp of vanilla extract. Leave out the cinnamon.

Oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Mix together dry ingredients in a medium bowl:

2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour such as Bob's red mill (you can also use almond meal for these)
1/2 tsp baking soda or powder (I know they are different but both will work here, I have tested it)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix in with your hands:
4 Tbsp softened butter

In a separate small bowl or cup, mix together:

2 eggs
2 tsp or about 5 1/2 droppers of liquid stevia
1 tsp vanilla extract

Now stir the liquid into the dry. You can taste test now to see if the sweetness is right. Let rest a few minutes. Roll into one inch balls and pat flat to form cookies. I think this makes somewhere around 12 - 15 cookies. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper as you go. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until done (slightly golden brown in places and brown on the bottom).



No comments:

Post a Comment